10 Steps to increase Fat Loss
- Determine what your basal metabolic rate is (BMR). There are many tools on google that allow you to calculate your BMR. You can search BMR calculator to find one that best suits your needs.
- Take your BMR and subtract 10% from it, with a maximum reduction of 500 calories per day. If you cut your calories too fast, you may lose muscle and not fat; this is the opposite of what we are trying to accomplish.
- Take your BMR and divide it between 5 to 6 meals a day if possible. Overall, you really don’t have to attain 5 or 6 meals a day; you could chose to eat 1 or 2 big meals a day as well. You have to find what works for you.
- Reduce the number of simple carbohydrates from your daily caloric intake. If you have the extra calories, you could incorporate some simple carbohydrates post workout but this is not necessary.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle. If possible, try to stay active with moderate to intense cardio for 30 minutes 3 – 4 times a week. Exercise can increase your metabolic rate and further increase your daily caloric deficit.
- Adjust your diet as needed. Start by making small changes such as eating high fiber foods instead of high sugar foods. Cut out processed meats and focus on lean cuts of meat such as chick breast or lean turkey.
- Ensure you are staying adequately hydrated. Focus on drinking 1oz of water for every pound of body weight. Stay hydrate will allow your body to be more efficient and increase the potential for fat loss.
- As best you can, keeps the carbs low to moderate. This will vary from person to person but 100 – 200 grams of carbohydrates should be plenty. You will have to adjust the number of carbs as you weight loss progresses.
- Write down everything you are eating. This will help create healthy living habits and make you more conscious of what you are actually consuming.
- Considering supplementing meals with high protein foods. Protein shakes are excellent for to help keep you full and are relatively low in calories. Additionally, fat loss supplements can help increase metabolic rate and may help carry you through your plateaus.
I have followed these practices over the last year and managed to lose over 20lbs of fat and maintain solid muscle mass. As always, please consult your doctor before starting any weight loss or supplement plan.